How to Get Your C1 License

Unfortunately, you cannot simply start driving a larger vehicle, even with a full UK driving license. To drive a vehicle of 7.5 tonnes, you will require a C1 License. This article will discuss exactly how to get your C1 license.

Once you have passed your tests, the C1 License allows you to drive vehicles and vans up to 7.5 tonnes.

If you’re thinking of a career change and are leaning towards a delivery position, chances are, you are going to need a C1 driving license.

Other uses of the C1 are associated with the NHS and A&E assistance. If you wish to follow a career as an emergency response paramedic, the C1 license will be needed.

C1 License Requirements

In order to begin a C1 course, you will need to be at least 18 years of age and hold a category B driving license. This is more commonly known as a car license.

First things first. You will need to successfully apply and pass an LGV medical test. The best place to apply for one of these is at your local GP surgery. Take a long a D4 Medical Form and your GP will be able to complete it accordingly.

If you successfully pass the medical, you will then need to apply for a provisional C1 license. To do this, you will need to contact the DVLA. You will need to complete a D2 form too as part of your application.

Just like the standard car test, before you complete a C1 Driver Training Course you need to complete the LGV theory test. The best way to book this is through the DVSA website which you can find here.

Benefits of a C1 Driving License

The C1 is most likely to be the most popular additional driving category.

Reason being, there are so many advantages with the first being the cost of actually getting hold of a license. The C1 License is considerably cheaper than obtaining a C License.

Although tuition and training will be needed – you will not require as many hours as you think. Training courses are more affordable than you think.

The final test is never going to be easy. However, it will be less complicated as the vehicle you are examined in is a lot smaller than most van license tests.

Unfortunately, if you do fail, one benefit is that the resitting fee is a lot cheaper than the C test.

If you are considering becoming a delivery driver, a lot of organisations and delivery companies only require a C1 License, not a C one.

How to load a horse into a trailer
← Previous post
Driving a car with a trailer
Trailer Towing
Next post →